The MISTEC (Music in Schools and Teacher Education) believes that music should be made available to all students in all schools and at all levels by professional music educators. The Commission further supports the premise that teacher education programs should aim to produce highly qualified future music teachers and support their continuous professional development. MISTEC believes in its international role as a body for promoting theoretical and practical innovation, research methodologies and policy development to meet the challenges faced by music educators worldwide.
The mission of MISTEC is to promote and support:
- the development of research expertise in the field of music teacher education, including the creation of new methodologies;
- the development of theoretical innovation and new practical approaches for music teacher education;
- international collaboration between professionals from different regions of the world, including the setting up of joint research projects between different institutions;
- the exchange of multicultural resources and innovative teaching approaches between ISME members who work in teacher education;
- policy discussion aiming to share experiences between professionals and institutions from around the world;
- colleagues around the world to influence the formation of educational policies so as to ensure that there will be quality music education for all children.